Recently, I have discovered a supermarket by the name of Sprouts. I was in Heaven. Being gluten-free, I found that they have an enormous selection of products that are safe for me to eat. Their prices are pretty great too. Anyway, as I was looking through the pasta aisle, I noticed some that was made with sweet potatoes. There are ingredients such as lentils, but the main flavor that comes out in this pasta is sweet potato. I purchased this and one made with cauliflower which I haven’t tried yet. I knew I had to pair this with a dairy-free sweet potato sauce.
The base of my pasta sauce is unsweetened almond milk and sweet potato. Nothing guilty or unhealthy here. It’s so simple to make and it tastes rich and creamy. I did top it with some shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, but I am not on a dairy-free diet. I’m pretty sure I know just how I am going to prepare my cauliflower noodles now. Can’t wait to try them!
Sweet Potato Pasta with a Creamy Sweet Potato SauceCourse: Entrées
Pasta that isn’t really pasta is my kind of dish. It’s full of nutritious vegetables and no guilt. Plus, it’s simple and quick to prepare.
1 box of pasta, I use Veggiecraft Farms, Pasta Sweet Potato Penne, 8 ounce
1 large shallot, sliced thin
1 small container of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 ½ cups of frozen peas
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- For the sauce
1 medium sized sweet potato, cooked and peeled
½ cup almond milk, more or less depending on the size of the sweet potato
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, cook pasta according to the directions on the box.
- After pasta is cooked, drain and set aside.
- Heat up a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once oil is heated, add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Next, add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in the frozen peas and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add pasta to the pan and set aside.
- In a blender add all ingredients for the sauce and blend until creamy. Add more almond milk if needed.
- When sauce is ready, mix into the pan with the pasta and vegetables and stir. Feel free to sprinkle parsley and cheese on top. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!!
- If you can’t find