Cauliflower has always been a staple in my house. My go in the past was always to have it riced it but lately, I have been loving it mashed. Maybe because it tricks me into thinking that I’m eating mashed potatoes. I used to buy them frozen but they are surprisingly easy to make using my Vitamix blender.
As for the sauce, it is pretty special to me and my husband. It’s one that I had created to top our yearly anniversary and Valentine’s filet minion dinners. I couldn’t believe how well if went over a plate full of mashed cauliflower. It was so filling that it was a meal in itself. I’ll be sure to add this into my meal rotation.
Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Wine SauceCourse: Entrées
This light and creamy mashed cauliflower is topped with a savory mushroom, wine sauce that makes it a meal in itself.
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup of almond milk, more or less depending on the size of your cauliflower
8 ounces of baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon avocado oil
¼ cup of any red wine, just not a sweet one
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, sliced
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
⅛ teaspoons salt
⅛ teaspoons pepper
- For the cauliflower
- In a large pot boil cauliflower in salted water for about 10 minutes or until tender. Remove, drain and allow to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, blend until smooth. Add in almond milk as needed for it to become creamy. Add in salt and pepper and blend for another 20 seconds.
- Remove from blender and set aside.
- For the sauce
- Heat a 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a large non-stick pan. Then sauté the shallots for 3-5 minutes.
- Next add in baby portobello mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add in the red wine and allow to simmer as the alcohol cooks off and it begins to evaporate.
- Add in 2 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons chopped parsley.
- Once the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and pour over the mashed cauliflower. Enjoy!!