I just love oatmeal, rolled oats, steel cut, doesn’t matter. They are easy to find as gluten-free, full of fiber keeping hunger at bay, plus, you can prepare them in so many different ways, the possibilities are endless. In this recipe, apples, cinnamon and pecans come together quite nicely, especially when tied together with addition of maple syrup.
This was the first time I’ve ever tried to bake oatmeal and it definitely won’t be the last. I was even surprised to see my kids who don’t care for oatmeal mistakingly eating this, thinking they were getting dessert for breakfast. If that’s the case, dessert will be served all the time!
Baked Apple Cinnamon OatmealCourse: Breakfast
Perfect, easy make ahead breakfast that you can quickly heat up in the morning when you simply don’t have the time to make something.
2 cups of rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 ½ cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
¼ cup maple syrup
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (reserving some for the top)
2 small apples peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large sized bowl, add all dry ingredients (oats, flax seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt), and stirring well.
- Add in the apple sauce, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and coconut oil mixing until combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chopped apples and chopped nuts, reserving some for the top.
- Carefully pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the reserved nuts and sprinkling a little cinnamon if you wish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until set and the top is golden. Once cooled, cut into portions. For a bit of extra sweetness, you can drizzle some maple syrup and top it with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Tip when using coconut oil: when labeled refined, you end up with a neutral flavor, however when it is virgin, you get the scent and flavor of coconut added to whatever you are making.